Saturday, November 14, 2009

Happy Halloween! Feliz Dia de Muertos!

Sergio and I had a great time this Halloween. I was also able to learn about the Mexican side of Halloween called Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead). Mexicans also celebrate Halloween on October 31, but their main holiday is El Dia de Muertos on November 2nd. They have a big fair here in Aguascalientes from October 28-November 2. We went with Sergio´s family on the 31st to walk around the fair and then we also went to see the big night parade on November 2nd. It was really cool. A lot of people dress up in costumes just like in the United States. Although they mostly dress up as Skeletons with fancy colonial clothing. It was really Fun! Another tradition for Dia de Muertos is to eat this yummy bread called Pan de Muerto (bread of the dead). It is sweet bread with a hint of orange flavor and covered in white sugar. And they also drink a hot drink called Atole. It´s so so yummy. Sergio and I invited the Aguilar Family over for Family Home Evening and we had Pan De Muerto with pecan flavored Atole. Mmmm!
October 31 Festival Cultural de Calaveras

An alter for the dead
 
 
Skeleton Mariachis
 
Beautiful little mexican girl in her costume
 
 
 


 November 2 Parade of the Dead

 
 
 
 
The Guava Candy thrown into the audiance of the parade
 
The awsome Costumes!
 

After the Parade, We went to out to eat at Las Alitas
 
 
 
Pan de Muerto & Atole
 
 
 


 



5 comments:

Lopez Love said...

test

Cherry Blossoms said...

Lauren,
It looks like you guys had so much fun! We love and miss you!
Rob & Ki

ASH ASH BO BASH said...

looks like the test worked. hahahaha. Sooooooo funny. Man I miss my Nalla humor. Maybe I will make a blog when I am pregnant. Then I will finally have something to write about!! haha. Love ya!

Lopez Love said...

Este comentario es para mi princesa Lauren. Este sitio que has creado para nosotros es una maravilla, tienes un talento increíble y aparte de todo estas muy muy hermosa y me haces unas comidas increíbles asi que te mando un gran abrazo y un beso y siempre seras mi gran esposa con gran amor tu esposo

Lopez Love said...

Este comentario es para mi princesa Lauren. Este sitio que has creado para nosotros es una maravilla, tienes un talento increíble y aparte de todo estas muy muy hermosa y me haces unas comidas increíbles asi que te mando un gran abrazo y un beso y siempre seras mi gran esposa con gran amor tu esposo